Sunday, 15 September 2013

the chairs: part II

See part I here

...And now for sanding. Gave my chair (the armless one) a keying, ready for some paint. I chose a garden furniture paint for durability. After sanding the back, I realised the chair had been varnished somewhere in between it's initiation and my purchase of it. It has a quite wonderful shiny brass inlay that had been varnished over:

Decided to paint right over the inlay for my chair.

I used 'tru oil' on the other chair which preserved the inlay nicely, and made it super shiny too:

the chairs: part I

I purchased a couple of second hand chairs many months ago with the intention of restoring/changing them; the armless one for myself, and the carver for my mother. This is a back blog from a few months back. Here they are as bought:

I began with re-upholstering them. Nice new squarey fabric:

Then I spent quite a bit of time 'fixing' my chair; in that one of the legs wasn't sitting straight. I took it apart, sanded, glued and re-set it, filled in the holey bits, but now that I've been using it, it's gone back to how it was before, which was a shoogly chair at best.

Part II here

Wednesday, 4 September 2013

sock blocking beats!

I have been working on a little drawing/design for some sock blockers, influenced by a combination of pictish carvings and polynesian tattoos. I have just begun to woodburn the design onto the blockers, which I cut and shaped out of MDF:

The other blocker will feature a different design, I'll update about that soon.